LYTHAM BOWLING CLUB
Station Square, Lytham St Annes, FY8 5NE
(Revised March 2017)
1) The name of the Club shall be Lytham Bowling Club.
2) The management of the Club shall be vested in a Committee consisting of the President, Vice President, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer and nine other members of which one‑third would be eligible for election each year. They shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting to be held on or before April 30th in every year.
3) The Honorary Secretary
The Hon. Secretary shall keep in books provided for that purpose, minutes of all Committee Meetings, Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings, to be produced as required. He, or in his absence the President, shall summon all Meetings of the Club, and shall send a copy of the Hon. Treasurer's Financial Statement to every member of the Club at least fourteen days before the Annual General Meeting. He shall also enrol members and give all notices required by the Rules of the Club.
He shall display, on the Club noticeboard, all applications for membership and these should remain on display for at least 14 days before being considered by the Committee. All applications must include a proposer and seconder, but no member shall propose or second a new member until he himself has been a member for at least two years.
Upon election of any member the Secretary shall at once give him notice thereof, furnishing him with a copy of the Rules and Regulations of the Club, to which he shall be bound to submit, but such member shall not be entitled to the privileges of the Club until his first subscription shall have been paid.
4) The Honorary Treasurer
Shall cause to be paid into the Bank as the Committee may from time to time direct to the credit of the Club the monies which may have been received, and shall submit a Statement of the financial affairs of the Club at the Annual General Meeting, such Statement having been duly certified by the Auditors appointed at the Annual General Meeting.
5) The mode of election shall be as follows: Any two members of the Club may nominate another member for the office of President, Vice-President, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer and for the Committee. All nominations shall be posted on the Club Notice Board for not less than fourteen days before the Annual General Meeting with the names of their proposer and seconder.
6) In the event of an insufficient number of candidates being so nominated to fill the vacancies on the Committee, or on the death or resignation of any member of the Committee, the Committee shall have the power to add to their number to fill the vacancies. Any member so elected by the Committee shall serve for the unexpired period of such vacancy, and shall be eligible for re-election to the Committee for the period immediately following his term of office.
7) The Committee
The Committee shall meet at least once in every month for the transaction of business.
The quorum shall be three inclusive of ex-officio members.
The Committee shall appoint at their first meeting after the Annual General Meeting from amongst their number a Chairman and Vice-Chairman or in the absence of both, one of the Members elected as Chairman who shall preside at all meetings of the Committee and General Meetings of the Club. Where there is an equality of votes on any subject the Chairman shall have the deciding vote, except at the Annual General Meeting or any other Special General Meeting.
The Committee shall have power to appoint from its members Sub-Committees for specific purposes and to define their powers, but no Sub-Committee shall have power to incur expenditure without the sanction of the Committee.
Any vacancy in the offices of President, Hon. Secretary or Honorary Treasurer that may occur from time to time during the year may be filled by the Committee.
The Committee shall have power to make Bye-Laws and Regulations provided always that nothing contained therein shall be contrary to or inconsistent with the Rules of the Club.
The Committee shall have power to open and close the Green when they consider it advisable.
8) There shall be five classes of membership of the Club:
Full members shall enjoy use of all of the facilities and privileges of the club.
Senior Members. This will apply to any member who will become 80 years of age, or over, during the calendar year and have been members for at least 10 years. Any full member who, regardless of age, by reason of health or physical infirmity, in the opinion of the committee, is specially deserving of this status. They will enjoy the privileges of full membership, but with a reduced subscription.
Those who live outside an 8 mile radius of the Club, or south of the River Ribble may, if they wish, apply to become Country Members, in which case they can use all of the facilities of the Club, but may not play in any of the Club’s league Bowling or Snooker teams.
The Committee shall have power to grant Life Membership to a member for special services rendered to the Club.
Joint members, being the spouse or partner of a full or senior member, will enjoy the privileges of full membership, but with a reduced subscription.
The Annual Subscription for each of these classes of membership shall be as the Committee decides. Subscriptions shall be due on January 1st each year. Any member whose subscription has not been paid by 1st March shall cease to be considered a member of the Club. Members may have the alternative option to pay the subscription by means of a signed Bankers Order providing 4 equal Quarterly Instalments plus a modest quarterly premium to be decided by the Committee. The Committee shall have power from time to time to vary the said subscriptions and to impose entrance fees in respect of new members.
9) All Full, Senior and Life members, who are not already shareholders, shall be entitled to purchase a single £1 share in Lytham Bowling Club Limited once they have been members for two years, this being calculated from the date of their first subscription payment. On ceasing to be a member, for whatever reason, this share shall be returned to the Trustees of Lytham Bowling Club.
10) The Annual General Meeting of the Club for passing the Accounts electing Officers, Trustees and Committee, revising Rules and other general business shall be held at the Clubhouse on or before April 30th in every year. Fourteen days notice of the Annual General Meeting specifying the business to be transacted thereat shall be sent to every member resident in the United Kingdom.
11) Special General Meetings may be called when found necessary by the Committee or on requisitions sent to the Hon. Secretary signed by not fewer than ten members. Such requisitions shall state specifically the business proposed to be submitted to the Meeting and the Special General Meeting shall not be called without fourteen days notice.
12) Notice calling a Special General Meeting shall be given to each member and shall be posted on the Club Notice Board at least fourteen days before the meeting and no business shall be transacted other than that specified in the Notice convening the Meeting.
13) Disciplinary action
a) Where a Club member disregards or contravenes a Regulation made, and displayed, by the Committee, they may invite the member to appear before them, and if they are satisfied that the contravention has occurred, suspend their membership for up to six weeks. Such a suspension may also be implemented, in absentia, if the member fails to appear before the Committee. The suspension shall be immediate, and there will be no right of appeal against it.
b) The Committee may at any time, by notice in writing, require a member to resign from the Club, and upon failure of the member to tender his resignation, he shall cease to be a member upon the expiration of one calendar month from the date of such notice. Before removing the name of a member from the list under this Rule the Committee shall write to him to give him the opportunity of attending before them and giving any explanation of his conduct. In all cases in which the Committee shall expel a member such member shall have a right of Appeal to an Extraordinary General Meeting on giving notice in writing to the Hon. Secretary of his desire to appeal within fourteen days of such expulsion, when such an Extraordinary Meeting shall be summoned and the majority of the members present and voting thereat shall be required to confirm such expulsion and if not confirmed, such expulsion by the Committee shall be annulled. In all cases where the name of a member has been removed from the list under this rule, that member shall have no remedy against the Club or Committee or any of the Officers of the Club.
14) No new Rules shall be made or any existing Rule amended or rescinded except by resolution at an Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting.
15) Notice of any proposed alteration of Rules must be given in writing to the Hon. Secretary at least fourteen days before the date of the Notice convening the Meeting.
16) The Committee shall be the sole authority for the interpretation of these Rules and Regulations made thereunder and the decision of the Committee upon any question of interpretation or any matter affecting the Club and not provided for by these rules or regulations made thereunder shall be final and binding on the members.
The Trustees will consist of:
i) Three elected Trustees. One of the elected Trustees must retire at each Annual General Meeting, those longest in office retiring first and the choice between any of equal service being made by drawing lots. A retiring Trustee who remains qualified may be re-appointed.
ii) up to two co-opted Trustees, appointed by resolution of the Trustees to hold office until the end of the next Annual General Meeting.
The Trustees will be responsible for managing all of the shares acquired in Lytham Bowling Club Ltd, which shall be held in the names of the Trustees for the time being.
Every Trustee after appointment or re-appointment must sign a declaration of willingness to act as a Trustee of the Club before they may vote at any meeting of the Trustees.
The Trustees will, each year, elect from their number one person to act as Chairman.
The Trustees must keep proper records of all proceedings at meetings of Trustees and all professional advice obtained by them.
A Trustee's term of office automatically terminates if they:
i) are disqualified by law from acting as a Trustee;
ii) are incapable, whether mentally or physically, of managing their own affairs;
iii) are asked by a majority of the other Trustees to resign;
iv) resign by written notice to the Trustees (but only if at least two Trustees will remain in office);
A retiring Trustee is entitled to an indemnity from the continuing Trustees at the expense of the Club in respect of any liabilities properly incurred while they hold office.
A technical defect in the appointment of a Trustee of which the Trustees are unaware at the time does not invalidate decisions taken at a meeting.
Documents may be deposited with any company registered or having a place of business in England and Wales as custodian.
18) Any notice given in accordance with these Rules and Constitution is to be treated for all purposes as having been received three clear days after having been sent by electronic means or by second class post to the last known address.
19) A technical defect in the giving of notice of which the Members or the Trustees are unaware at the time does not invalidate decisions taken at a meeting.
20) Except such loss as arises from their respective wilful default, the Trustees and members of the Committee shall not be liable (otherwise than as Members) for any loss suffered by the Club as a result of the discharge of their respective duties on its behalf, and they shall be entitled to an indemnity out of the assets of the Club for all expenses and other liabilities incurred by them in the discharge of their respective duties.
The Club may be dissolved:
i) by a resolution passed by at least 75% of those members present at a General Meeting of the Club.
ii) by a notice from a liquidator of the Club or a receiver of all or any of its assets.
The dissolution shall take effect from the day when the resolution is passed and the Committee shall be responsible for the winding up of the assets and liabilities of the Club.
If any property, including shares in the Limited Company, remains after the discharge of all debts and liabilities of the Club, it shall be distributed equally amongst all members who are shareholders in the Limited Company at the time of dissolution.
22) Members shall be at liberty to introduce Visitors to the Club and shall enter the Visitor's name and address in the book provided for that purpose.
23) Introducing members shall be answerable for all charges or expenses incurred by the Visitor and for his conduct and behaviour
24) Visitors shall be admitted to the Clubhouse and be permitted to use the facilities of the Club including the purchase of intoxicating liquor PROVIDING:
they are invited by a member who is responsible for ensuring their names are entered in the book provided for that purpose. No visitor residing in the Borough of Fylde shall be invited more than four times in the same year. Widows of former members shall be allowed to be introduced and make use of the facilities at the discretion of the Committee.
they are supporters, or players or supporters of a visiting team which is competing for or against a Club side in a Competition or League match authorised by the Committee for the day of the match only.
they are visitors who are attending a function at the Club providing every such function:
i) is authorised by the Committee.
ii) is promoted for the benefit of the Club, for the various sporting organisations of which the Club is a member or otherwise for Charitable Purposes
they are members of a bona fide external body which is using the Clubhouse for the purpose of holding a meeting, provided that this use is authorised by the Committee and at least one Club member is present.
25) The Club premises shall be opened and closed at the discretion of the Committee. The Sale of excisable liquors shall be restricted to the following hours:
Weekdays 11:00am to 23:00pm
Sundays 12:00pm to 22:30pm